Pages

Sunday 18 September 2016

Life Lessons: Skipping Rocks Edition

My friends :)
What do you do if it’s the middle of the night and you just can’t sleep… if you’re me, apparently pull out the laptop and write a random blog post. Who am I? Haha   

So today, (well yesterday now) (and still yesterday, even though it’s no longer the middle of the night and instead about 13 hours later that I’m actually posting this! (Got all that?)) ;) a couple of my friends and I decided to go for a bit of a nature walk/hike/adventure. We ended up down by the creek collecting cool rocks, and skipping rocks… well skipping rocks for some. I’ve never been able to do it. And not for lack of trying, I’ve tried many a time over the years, just never ever succeeded. I was more the kid who just found the best rock to try to throw as far as I could into the water and make the loudest splash. 


It’s not that I wasn’t ever taught or anything. I know over the years my dad definitely tried to coach my brothers and me on how to skip a rock. I think trying to teach five children how to skip rocks without any of us accidentally throwing rocks at each others heads when they went wayward, or you know, feeling too confident and accidentally stumbling into the river (#klutzgene), he had his hands full and it was just easier for us to throw our rocks while my dad skipped the rocks, and we watched and counted how many times the rock would skip across the water before it sunk. 

Unconfirmed, but I’m sure on their own, at least some of my brothers have learned to skip rocks. I do know that I wasn't the only one that never did learn though, at least one of the boys still doesn’t know how to skip a rock.

Anyways, back to the creek with two of my super awesome friends. They were shocked when I said I did not know how to skip a rock, and that I had never successfully done it. That was not going to fly! I was going to learn, and we weren't going to leave until I did! I had some lessons, watched them do it a few times, really tried to learn the skill and technique and figure out the good flick of the wrist. Let’s just say, I definitely did not get it at first. Was so focused on flicking my wrist, I forgot to move my arm the first time. That rock did not even end up in the water. Such a fail, and such a waste of a good skipping rock! The ones after that were better technique, but all fails… Was apparently getting better though. Finally after a few solid attempts, while there was no pressure and my friends weren’t even paying attention because they were scouting out good, flat skipping rocks, I succeeded!! 

At the age of 25 years, 2 months, and 1 day I finally learned how to skip a rock!! It may have only been two skips across the water, and I may never be able to do it again, but I did it folks, I finally did it!! 

And it was the coolest thing! I felt like a little kid! I was so excited, I jumped for joy and hooted and hollered! I had done it… Even if no one else had seen it! My friends were almost as excited as me! ;) We were all just so proud! Haha this was definitely a momentous occasion and so fun to feel like a little kid again, not a care in the world for a bit there. Just the focus on skipping a rock and the joy and celebration of actually succeeding in doing it… Finally! It only took 25 years, but it happened. And as silly as it may be or may seem to some, it is an experience in this adventure called my life that is totally worth remembering! 

Huddle up with the friends and the river rocks to commemorate the occasion ;)

It really is about the little things! Why not try something new, or something you may have failed at in the past! It’s never too late, it doesn’t matter how big or small, or seemingly silly of a thing it might be, the joy and pride in the end is all the same! Just get out there and do it, whatever it is! And don’t have a care in the world. You’re never too old to just be a kid again!! Lesson learned: Never give up! It’s never too late! :)

To the moon and back,
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig